Freedom breathes through every pore,
Escapes in gasps froms cracks in floors.
I'll dream of you so many nights,
I've cried and screamed with eyes shut tight.
And freedom breeds, it lives, it fights.
I know not where I'm going,
Forgotten where I've been.
I'm floating through the streets unknowing,
to you I float, now thats a sin.
A freedim sigh escapes my lips,
I'm counting down the hours.
And I'll long for you to kiss these lips
in the light of freedom's powers.
but even freedom cheats, it lies, it slips.
I know not where I'm going
but I dream of where I've been.
freedom will keep my heart slowing,
and let me go on drowning in this mess.
And to you I'll float for days to come,
in darkness and in hiding.
I'll float until my heart is done,
and in death freedom conquers.
Monica O'Connor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Freedom Sigh by Monica O'Connor )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Question, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- family visit, oskar hansen
- Thank the love gift me the verses by Ra.., Yuri Starostin
- पूनम का चांंद.............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Angelic Figure, Ahmad Husain
- And the Trains Go On, Philip Levine
- Hair-raising, hafiz qasim
- Desperadoes, gajanan mishra
- Beatific, Naveed Khalid
- Bed of lust, Gerald Obinna
- The Traveling Onion, Naomi Shihab Nye