My aunt owned one dog named Linus, the other Bezel
But her favorite animal was a frog,
I do not know why but she had so many figures of them,
You could jog them.
She would either consider each her or him,
Then she started to name each one of them.
No matter what the weather she had two in the car,
And she took them everywhere near or far
And if she was a drinker I swear they could go to the bar.
I do not know why, to me they are slimy, not cool,
But had I have said that to her she would say I was cruel.
I think all they do is drool; she thought they were not a fool.
Most of what she had was frogs, they where her first aid tools.
They were her design, her car seat covers and her license plate,
This is one of the things that make me want to forget her death date.
She was lovely and frogs were her favorite,
She thought they were cute, and all kids innocent,
She stood what she believed in, never was mute,
She knitted and crusaded instead of playing the flute.
She believed in God, so now is heaven,
And gets all the frogs she wants, and probably has more than 77,
I love her and miss her she was the best of all aunts I have had.
Sometimes thinking of her death makes me mad,
What makes it so bad, is she died on my birthday,
I knew it may happen one day, but why then?
I guess that is when God wanted her.
Rita Hawkins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Frogs by Rita Hawkins )
- Beauty of the world is ruined, Jerusha Melanie
- Clean and cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Holding You Tight, Michael McParland
- I'm bored with it all., gulsher JOHN
- A Rich Man, S.R. Riang
- the natural disaster.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Desert Country Ways, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Way To Balance In Life, Margaret Moran
- Choosing Directions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mind's Highway, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)