Carpe diem? sweet, yet meet? … whimsical? smart? how do I start? …
On a birthday, it's worth saying something special from the heart.
While I've penned all kinds of rhymes— ahead, behind the times, a range—
Some in verse that's terse, some florid, others horrid, stanzas strange…
Here are couplets spare, to share a word about aesthetic voice
And tell of those who, heaven knows, feel impelled. These have no choice.
Force driven, from a passion given or a pull linguistic,
They have to make their plea— to make us see— by means artistic.
To psyches nourish with a flourish to seek heights where dreams dare—
Souls entice through words' device— takes more than mere inventive flair.
Although Joyce's knack most lack or Molly Bloom's, yes, claim to fame…
Still a spark might light that could ignite a literary flame.
When in dim creative burn, one struggles just to turn the page—
Push on to… and puzzle through… a painful poem's final stage.
Midst seas of jocund companies, I would seek to speak from shore,
Hope to leave behind a line of mine that wasn't there before…
Meantime delight in what is left, each strophe deft… to the end…
Where we blind may find someday someway unwinds beyond that bend…
I'll stop the Harley parley now— sing appreciation ‘cheers'…
For encore add, ‘many more birthdays galore… and relished years! '
(March 2010 - Granada, Spain)
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Genethliac by Harley White )
- Walk the Walk, Donald R Charon
- To Smile Even In Sadness, Rohit Sapra
- In secrets, gajanan mishra
- A-DOODLE-DO, Donald R Charon
- Nostalgia- Song of the Expatriate, S.zaynub Kamoonpuri
- Wipes off obloquy, gajanan mishra
- Beloved of Bronze Skin, Donald R Charon
- a dead sea scroll unrolled, Mandolyn ...
- I am Thy Woman O my Protector, Aftab Alam
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)