I can attest to his sound mind.
He is accused of mercikilling
his aging parents in their home.
They begged and pleaded with their son
and purchased ammunition.
As well, they had assembled knives and guns
on polished mahogany tables,
all neatly stacked, prepared to use.
He'd made short work of it,
a couple muffled sreams,
there was no trouble and no going back.
The local cops had talked to him
but briefly at the Greyhound Station,
the driver argued that those cases were too heavy.
Now, my own tests have followed our talk.
So, was he sane to stand his trial, the judge had asked,
there was no question with my findings yet I knew
that I was handing out the penalty of death.
And so it went. The law had set the execution
for late on Sunday, just before the sun goes down.
No next of kin meant that the judge went to his chambers
and spent the night just counting money of the dead.
And so, at last the judge stood up and placed his hand
upon the shoulder, yes the one without the chip.
A lengthy patting was in order for those millions,
he felt so good when genuine justice had been served.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Genuine Justice by Herbert Nehrlich )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Taken As Directed., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- Exercises Of The Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Accounting For Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Best Is To Forget, Shalom Freedman
- Esta noche, Sergio Jaime
- My Pen Is Happy, King Happy
- All of The Above, King Happy
- In a Minute, King Happy
- Knowing and accepting, gajanan mishra