Agha Shahid Ali
Feel the patient’s heart
Pounding—oh please, this once—
I’ll do what I must if I’m bold in real time.
A refugee, I’ll be paroled in real time.
Cool evidence clawed off like shirts of hell-fire?
A former existence untold in real time ...
The one you would choose: Were you led then by him?
What longing, O Yaar, is controlled in real time?
Each syllable sucked under waves of our earth—
The funeral love comes to hold in real time!
They left him alive so that he could be lonely—
The god of small things is not consoled in real time.
Please afterwards empty my pockets of keys—
It’s hell in the city of gold in real time.
God’s angels again are—for Satan!—forlorn.
Salvation was bought but sin sold in real time.
And who is the terrorist, who the victim?
We’ll know if the country is polled in real time.
“Behind a door marked DANGER” are being unwound
the prayers my friend had enscrolled in real time.
The throat of the rearview and sliding down it
the Street of Farewell’s now unrolled in real time.
I heard the incessant dissolving of silk—
I felt my heart growing so old in real time.
Her heart must be ash where her body lies burned.
What hope lets your hands rake the cold in real time?
Now Friend, the Belovèd has stolen your words—
Read slowly: The plot will unfold in real time.
(for Daniel Hall)
NOTES: Yaar: Hindi word for friend.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ghazal by Agha Shahid Ali )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Edward Housman
(26 March 1859 – 30 April 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Gerard Manley Hopkins
(28 July 1844 – 8 June 1889)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Pumpkin Pie, Ima Ryma
- '' Even Animals Look After Their Own '', bri mar
- With The Works Of Your Hands, Edward Kofi Louis
- On Earth Humans, Sari Mavi
- Being Exposed, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ignorance.., SALINI NAIR
- Sweet Tea!, Edward Kofi Louis
- John Masefield - Vagabundo, Paul Abucean
- The Warped Human Minds, rajendran muthiah
- Polished Nail, maria sudibyo