Gloomy Scenes Foreshadowing Commotions
In 1968 I landed a job in Berriman JHS
thus keeping me out of Viet Nam
but if I faltered and got fired
I’d be there swatting flies and fleeing bullets.
My control wasn’t fabulous,
yet it existed, somewhat, at moments.
Melvin Smeld was another story.
He’d been relieved of his regular English program
when Ruth Kaufman returned from her bout with pneumonia
but as luck would have it
he landed a regular Science program
when Joseph Botts got pushed down a flight of stairs
and broke his left arm and right leg.
“How goes it? ” I asked.
“It’s rough, Bernstein, the kids don’t listen..”
“Did you call up any mothers? ”
“It doesn’t do any good.
I call up at night and the next day
they’re back to their old tricks again”
“Don’t give up, ” I said sternly,
“or you’re off to Viet Nam.”
Smeld stared at me, lips twitching
barely able to get the words out,
“Did you hear what happened? ”
“They killed all the fish. Gilmore.
Oh, you gotta watch him
put ink in the tank, water turned blue
then he strangled a goldfish
in the back of the room.
Assistant Principal Stein came in
and gave him hell, but it won’t help
next day he’ll be doing the same thing.”
“Sit him up front.”
Smeld stared at me quite hopeless
finally managing to mumble,
“Principal Foy says he’s fed up with me.”
And don’t you know
the next day a kid heaved a chair
out the window onto Foy’s sky blue Cadillac
smashing Smeld to smithereens.
Charles Wax's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gloomy Scenes Foreshadowing Commotions by Charles Wax )
- Honour Killing, Whose Honour, Where's Ho.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Seminar Activity, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Story of a thousand Hopes, clawdea benat
- gLoW hideing OfF iN2 thE sUnsEt, sEaN nOrTh
- Absence, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- Funeral, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- I am complete in your arms.., Manish Guru
- She, Akhtar Jawad
- Lunch, anthony henriques
- A thoughtless god, Solomon Marshall
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Am Offering This Poem, Jimmy Santiago Baca
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)