Going to Canaan
In the dark of the night
the shame is veiled
and pain cuts through her
like her like a scorching knife
and she pulls the blanket over her
to keep out the winter chill.
She stands alone at the fire
and her mind is made up.
The fog hangs low around her
and she cannot see a thing through it.
A shiver runs down her spine
and she needs to get away from this place
for her and her child’s sake.
She cannot sustain a life here
and it’s as if God has forsaken her.
No prayer has been answered
and the land around her
has become a barren mother
and violence has grown to gigantic proportions
and life has got no meaning.
She bends down
and picks up the sleeping child.
Hope lies a thousand kilometer away
and crossing the savannahs of Africa
she hopes to enter the Promised Land.
When the shotgun fires
her body stretches out
and she sees Jordan in the distance
covering her lifeless child
and she does not notice the heat
of the rising sun covering her face.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Going to Canaan by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(14 October 1888 – 9 January 1923)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(23 January 1861 - 2 Apirl 1931)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael P. McParland
- Taking advise, george albot
- Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- i leaned against a tree trunk on a colle.., Mandolyn ...
- MOVING ON, Eugene Latumbo
- Alienation, hafiz qasim
- To The Unwritten, Michael P. McParland
- To Have And To Hold, Michael P. McParland
- thousands of dreams and a lost love, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Time, Michael P. McParland