I wonder, by my truth, what thou and I
Did, till we loved; were we not weaned till then,
But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers' den?
'Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.
And now good morrow to our waking souls,
Which watch not one another out of fear;
For love, all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room, an everywhere.
Let sead discoveries to new worlds have gone,
Let maps to others, worlds on worlds have shown,
Let us possess our world; each hath one and is one.
My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemispheres,
Without sharp North, without declining West?
Whatever dies, was not mixed equally;
If our two loves be one; or thou and I
Love so alike that none do slacken, none can die.
John Donne's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Good Morrow by John Donne )
Did you read them?
- This Is What Makes A Rhyming Poem, arshad arshad
- I write not for you, Havilah
- This Isn't My Body, Elizabeth Tyrrell
- Love me..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Certainly prove, hasmukh amathalal
- I want to say goodbye, michael hagwood
- It is casual, hasmukh amathalal
- Welcome poetess, hasmukh amathalal
- Dark Secrets, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Dancing Gay Foot Steps, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)