Goodnight, Sweet Prince (A Tribute to Laurence Olivier)
Sweet and tender
Noble Hamlet by treachery slain.
And Romeo lies in a darkened tomb
No Juliet to save him with a palmer’s kiss.
Henry the Fifth, rebellious Hal
Is old and tired
His battles won
No Hotspur to challenge the royal throne.
Richard the Third, that villainous rogue,
Has breathed his last
“A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.”
His rage long spent
Victor and victim by the self-same hand.
And Lear, old fool
Can weep no more
In the mud and dust of a bloody field.
All are dead.
Dead and buried
In the couplets of an ancient rhyme.
But Olivier lives.
(Previously published in Aileron, Winter '99)
Laurence Overmire's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Goodnight, Sweet Prince (A Tribute to Laurence Olivier) by Laurence Overmire )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou