Graveyard of Dreams
The lonely traveller wandered along a rocky road,
With nothing on him but a few pennies and half a loaf.
For days he had travelled, with his feet sore,
And his shoulders bent with a heavy load.
What, I asked, was in the large sack?
He turned to me, with eyes that gleamed with hope,
His withered hands, struggled to lift the load,
And he sat down and let the tale unfold,
'I was a lad, just like you, ' he began,
'With a promised horizon of golden sands.
I too like you dreamt of an impalpable light,
The light, I wished to release into the world of night,
But I changed; from the lad I was, I became the man I am,
Years have killed my enthusiasm.
I have become a shell of what I was,
With a baggage of dreams I have to let go off.
So here I am searching for a proper burial,
For the dreams that made my youth feel real.'
I understood the man and pointed to the east,
'There, ' I said, 'is the graveyard of dreams, '
'Where travellers who have lost their childhood purpose,
To the stage of responsibilities and a shifted focus,
Go to abandon their dreams.'
The traveller then picked up his bag, and looked back for a reason to stop,
But when his searching eyes gave in to reason, he walked on;
After an hour, thunder and lightning hit the forest green,
And the world mourned the death of a dream.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Graveyard of Dreams by Rebekah Daniel )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 March 1907 – 11 September 1987)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- woman pride, ademola oluwabusayo
- For Her, M.J. Lemon
- I Broke My Leg, M.J. Lemon
- Get Together in NCCF Benue, Dare Onadele
- A Man Dying, M.J. Lemon
- Force Of Nature, R B Seals
- People I See Sometimes, Casey Renee Kiser
- The Song of My Heart, Amber Carr
- Tales Of A Wife: My Devil, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- ARRIVAL DAY, michael walkerjohn