Graveyard of Dreams
The lonely traveller wandered along a rocky road,
With nothing on him but a few pennies and half a loaf.
For days he had travelled, with his feet sore,
And his shoulders bent with a heavy load.
What, I asked, was in the large sack?
He turned to me, with eyes that gleamed with hope,
His withered hands, struggled to lift the load,
And he sat down and let the tale unfold,
'I was a lad, just like you, ' he began,
'With a promised horizon of golden sands.
I too like you dreamt of an impalpable light,
The light, I wished to release into the world of night,
But I changed; from the lad I was, I became the man I am,
Years have killed my enthusiasm.
I have become a shell of what I was,
With a baggage of dreams I have to let go off.
So here I am searching for a proper burial,
For the dreams that made my youth feel real.'
I understood the man and pointed to the east,
'There, ' I said, 'is the graveyard of dreams, '
'Where travellers who have lost their childhood purpose,
To the stage of responsibilities and a shifted focus,
Go to abandon their dreams.'
The traveller then picked up his bag, and looked back for a reason to stop,
But when his searching eyes gave in to reason, he walked on;
After an hour, thunder and lightning hit the forest green,
And the world mourned the death of a dream.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Graveyard of Dreams by Rebekah Daniel )
- The Hooked & Crooked Men As The Communis.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Star chat........., SALINI NAIR
- Chicane, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Just A Few Simple Words, Electric Lady
- Pen And Pun Of It, Rites Ghosh
- Be One, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- POITIERS AND BEYOND., Terry Collett
- Jadavpur Universiy Campus Turf, Romeo An.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Let Me Display Your Pennant , Jonathan ROBIN
- UNTIL THEN, TIJANI ADEBOWALE DESTINY
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Carpe Diem, William Shakespeare
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)