A dab of colour, a change of heart,
Fingers rummaging through metal shards.
Her tresses descend in a graceful fall,
As her eyes never leave the glass on the wall.
She turns, she twirls and gathers her hair.
It is her morning routine, an elaborate affair.
She tiptoes across the windows on the street.
She stops, she glances, she takes two minutes to see,
Whether it is this way or that way that her eyes look best,
Or whether she should reapply or double coat the rest.
Her dreams dance around on the reflecting screen,
Her ideal self, that’s all the glass will never be.
O treacherous mirror, you have enslaved the woman,
You've made her the unsuspecting victim of your gilded prison.
She is doomed to immanence, trapped in your snares.
It is you, your deception that she cannot escape.
There’s only one way to free her from your claws,
O wise glass that sees it all, please die for a righteous cause.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mirrors by Rebekah Daniel )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Steve Turner
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra
- Many Types of Pain, Christina Seyoum
- Good things, hasmukh amathalal
- I failed to understand this world, gajanan mishra
- Now I am Mr. Delight, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The 7 Signs of The Holy Night...(In Haik.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Day After Chris+mas...(A 10 Word Acr.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- So encouraging, hasmukh amathalal
- So Good, Michael P. McParland
- Snuggle, Michael P. McParland