john tiong chunghoo
Haiku - Twin Happiness
identical boys escape
helpless over identity
judge frees twins
in drug offence
no sentence for twins
in drug charge
Malaysian identical twin brothers have escaped hanging for drug trafficking as a court failed to decide which brother was the criminal, and cleared both.
A judge in the capital, Kuala Lumpur, said the case was unique and she could not send the wrong person to his death.
In 2003 police arrested one brother found driving drugs to a house. The second twin arrived soon afterwards and was also arrested.
Neither officers nor a DNA test could identify which twin owned the drugs.
Sathis and Sabarish Raj,27, cried in court when they heard the judge say that the prosecution had failed to prove which twin had been arrested first with a car containing 166kg of cannabis and almost 2kg of raw opium.
According to the New Straits Times, the judge told the court: 'I can't be calling the wrong twin to enter his defence. I can't be sending the wrong person to the gallows.'
Execution is mandatory for convicted drugs traffickers in Malaysia
john tiong chunghoo's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Haiku - Twin Happiness by john tiong chunghoo )
- Migrants Plight, Paul Sebastian
- Sharing Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Human in art, hasmukh amathalal
- Legacy Of Goodness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Snowflakes, Wani Rahil
- Moments That Never Were, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- TREASURE ISLAND: Overall Statistics, Frank Avon
- Poet's mind, hasmukh amathalal
- Senses Flavorful Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Behind everything, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Heather Burns