Halcyon (The Sweetest Year)
When I was young, a boy of ten and three
I knew of love with naive clarity
My love burned bright, but dimmed as each day passed
It turned to ash. It burned out naturally.
A child's heart is fickle, underlined
With good intentions. Likewise unconfined
Were thoughts which said 'You love her not, move on! '
And so I left the ones I loved behind.
Yet when I sat and pondered in disgrace
I saw a girl I knew, a pretty face
Possessed of subtle-soft regality
Her gentle smiles filled up my empty space.
She was my little secret, tucked away
Inside my dreams, a magnolia fay
Whose presence stoked, not quenched, affection's fire
My love only burned brighter every day.
And so began our romances sublime
So long ago when love was in its prime
Before a Demon tore us both apart
But that's a story for another time.
So when the lonely winds of life do blow
I think of her, the girl of long ago
Who loved me in that year of burning heat.
The sweetest year that I will ever know!
Thomas Donnelly's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Halcyon (The Sweetest Year) by Thomas Donnelly )
- Pigeon, Foster Teegarden
- Idle mind at rest, hasmukh amathalal
- Against nature, gajanan mishra
- Train, Foster Teegarden
- Inspiration (Haiku), Toshie Nohara
- Rain In Summer, Neela Nath
- Friendship is made by God, gajanan mishra
- Friend, JAMES T. ADAIR
- You'll Never Know, Akhtar Jawad
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley