Now I’m not necessarily complaining and I don’t want to be coy
But Halloween has changed a bit since I was a little boy.
Back then the candy bars were bigger and the costumes less complex
Today the candy comes in littler pieces and there’s quite a bit more sex.
We’d cut two eyes out of an old used sheet and voila- we were a ghost.
There was always a competition for candy- to see who got the most.
If there was a house on our street whose candy we thought was prime
We’d wait a few minutes, exchange costumes, then go back a second time.
When we got home we’d pour our candy out, we’d smell, we’d open and we’d lick
We’d eat until we were made to stop, or until we all got sick.
Yes, Halloween used to be about the children, it was a cherished holiday
But recently the adults of the world have taken it away.
Before the children stayed up late now they’re put to bed instead
Because Adult Halloween doesn’t get started until the kids are all in bed.
At an adult Halloween party as I’m sure you are aware
There’s beer and wine, very little candy and cleavage everywhere.
Sexy costumes are now the norm, much sexier than way back when
But have you noticed they’re only sexier for the women not the men?
For instance women have the Twerkin Teddy as worn by Miley on TV.
While the men are dressed like Willie from the show Duck Dynasty.
Men dress like Walter White from the series Breaking Bad
Women can also dress like Walter, but are much more scantily clad.
On a woman I’ve seen a sexy banana with the peeling falling down
While the man was a bruised banana that made him look just like a clown.
True a man can wear a patch and hat and be a pirate cutie,
But the women’s pirate (did they even have them?) seems to show a lot more booty.
And the fox says let the lady give the sexy fox a whirl
While the man from the same video is in the costume of a squirrel
Yes if you stop to think about it I’m sure you’ll see just what I mean
The children are now secondary to the sex on Halloween.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Happy Halloween by Jim Yerman )
- Divine Union!, Manjuri Neogi
- Never Let Anything Go, Tony Adah
- How Can I Forget You, Akhtar Jawad
- The Music Of The Prayer, Shalom Freedman
- Mere Maula, Mere Maula, Rakesh Sinha
- Fact, Somanathan Iyer
- missing my son, jaquesha webb
- Love is tolerance, Somanathan Iyer
- Flattered lives, Somanathan Iyer
- Live Paintings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Art of Disappearing, Naomi Shihab Nye
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Friends Departed, Henry Vaughan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 July 1870 – 16 July 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)