Now I’m not necessarily complaining and I don’t want to be coy
But Halloween has changed a bit since I was a little boy.
Back then the candy bars were bigger and the costumes less complex
Today the candy comes in littler pieces and there’s quite a bit more sex.
We’d cut two eyes out of an old used sheet and voila- we were a ghost.
There was always a competition for candy- to see who got the most.
If there was a house on our street whose candy we thought was prime
We’d wait a few minutes, exchange costumes, then go back a second time.
When we got home we’d pour our candy out, we’d smell, we’d open and we’d lick
We’d eat until we were made to stop, or until we all got sick.
Yes, Halloween used to be about the children, it was a cherished holiday
But recently the adults of the world have taken it away.
Before the children stayed up late now they’re put to bed instead
Because Adult Halloween doesn’t get started until the kids are all in bed.
At an adult Halloween party as I’m sure you are aware
There’s beer and wine, very little candy and cleavage everywhere.
Sexy costumes are now the norm, much sexier than way back when
But have you noticed they’re only sexier for the women not the men?
For instance women have the Twerkin Teddy as worn by Miley on TV.
While the men are dressed like Willie from the show Duck Dynasty.
Men dress like Walter White from the series Breaking Bad
Women can also dress like Walter, but are much more scantily clad.
On a woman I’ve seen a sexy banana with the peeling falling down
While the man was a bruised banana that made him look just like a clown.
True a man can wear a patch and hat and be a pirate cutie,
But the women’s pirate (did they even have them?) seems to show a lot more booty.
And the fox says let the lady give the sexy fox a whirl
While the man from the same video is in the costume of a squirrel
Yes if you stop to think about it I’m sure you’ll see just what I mean
The children are now secondary to the sex on Halloween.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Happy Halloween by Jim Yerman )
- Amelia, My Brother's Cat, Deborah Eker
- First Trimester, Donal Mahoney
- erotic terminology, lee fones
- The place of defeat, Terry Mitchison
- Father: Every Morning of His Life, Donal Mahoney
- Winter here الشتاء هنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Inference to All Our Years of Walk, N.K. Trevor
- A Sunny Day, Deborah Eker
- A Rainy Day, Deborah Eker
- The Rabbit With The Habit, Deborah Eker
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)