He Walked Away
I have great wealth Lord, What must I do?
I want eternal life so I have come to You
All the commandments I've obeyed and kept
What else must I do eternal life to get?
'Go sell your possessions and give to the poor'
'Then follow Me and I will tell you more'
Hearing this the man turned and walked away
For him the price was too much to pay!
Lord Jesus, may I not walk away
thinking that it is too much to pay.
For the price was paid by You my Lord
so please help me to trust in Your Word
to come to You and in repentance bow.
Then I shall have eternal life now.
Written after reading Matthew 19: 16-26
Royston Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, 'Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life? '
'Why do you ask me about what is good? ' Jesus replied. 'There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.'
'Which ones? ' he inquired.
Jesus replied, '‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, ' and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.''
'All these I have kept, ' the young man said. 'What do I still lack? '
Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.'
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, 'Who then can be saved? '
Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'
All quotations ©NIV
Comments about this poem (He Walked Away by Royston Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- EMOTIONS, Eugene Latumbo
- LOVE, Eugene Latumbo
- Duty of a good friend, gajanan mishra
- FRIENDSHIP, Eugene Latumbo
- Inspiration, Michael P. McParland
- Intesely Tired, Michael P. McParland
- Jakhm dilon kaa jab bhi dhoun,, Aftab Alam
- achchhe din aa gaye, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Into The Valley, Michael P. McParland
- It's All For You, Michael P. McParland