Heaven Was Always Waiting For You
You lived like a bird in full song
With a comforting and kind tune.
There were tough times when you became a wife,
Getting used to stony silences,
Trying to weave a peaceful life,
Your loving nature steered a course,
Away from cruel strife.
Always in your thoughts was your childhood home of Carrick,
In the rolling landscape of County Offaly,
Happiness came easily with your seventeen brothers and sisters,
Picking wild blackberries and loganberries while walking back from school
Across the fields,
Hungry for your mother's home cooked meals,
Trees majestic, bluebells, snowdrops and primroses,
Delicate and strong peeping through the long grass,
Even on misty days, there was always sunshine,
Reflecting from the heart of just a lass.
Tears flowed forever when your beloved mother departed,
Memories that later you would lovingly chart.
Charles waltzed into your life and was the leading part,
Handsome with charm he hid dark demons,
Switching from warm words to unkind,
Hard days with painful joints to endure,
You fought a battle with a smile so pure.
You were in our lives from the start,
I remember you loved the colour blue
Wearing elegant dresses with a shiny brooch,
Looking after us all, enjoying reading and writing long letters,
A nanny couldn't be better.
Blue round eyes soaked in truth and your roots,
You gave all the good that was deep inside of you,
You lived a life so true
Heaven was always waiting for you.
Hazel Durham's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Heaven Was Always Waiting For You by Hazel Durham )
Did you read them?
- A. A. Anzarannii As An Indian English Po.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- From My List of Annoyances, Jeff Gangwer
- When A Flower Glooms, Eshan Gupta
- A Wealth, Like Truth, Jeff Gangwer
- "If I believed in your heaven...&qu.., Jeff Gangwer
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)