They were 'Proctors' and 'Jackaroos' in those days.
Single wing aeroplanes,
two and four seaters,
either open engines, or open under your seat.
Exciting for a seventeen year old.
I went up with the commercial pilots,
logging up their flying hours.
Take off! Climb! Spin on one wing!
Roll! - 'keep looking forward! ',
Stall! - That was the most terrifying thing of all,
not knowing whether the engine would start firing up again.
There were no parachutes, of course.
Flying along the south coast of England,
around the Isle of Wight,
looking down on a 'patchwork' of fields, farms,
towns and villages,
all viewed in 'miniature'.
Those were the days when one felt immortal,
and there was something very romantic
about pilots who flew beyond the clouds.
That death defying, daredevil image.
Somehow, you didn't seem to suffer from nerves
when you were only seventeen, you just had an appetite
to sample the great, unknown, blue yonder.
Now I prefer to have my feet planted firmly on terra firma.
But Oh! those times when I was once a 'High Flyer'.
Chocks away.............! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
© Ernestine Northover
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (High Flyer by Ernestine Northover )
- After the Ice Storm, Deborah Eker
- extremely, lee fones
- Confessions of a Cat Lover, Deborah Eker
- Amelia, My Brother's Cat, Deborah Eker
- First Trimester, Donal Mahoney
- erotic terminology, lee fones
- The place of defeat, Terry Mitchison
- Father: Every Morning of His Life, Donal Mahoney
- Winter here الشتاء هنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Inference to All Our Years of Walk, N.K. Trevor
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)