They were 'Proctors' and 'Jackaroos' in those days.
Single wing aeroplanes,
two and four seaters,
either open engines, or open under your seat.
Exciting for a seventeen year old.
I went up with the commercial pilots,
logging up their flying hours.
Take off! Climb! Spin on one wing!
Roll! - 'keep looking forward! ',
Stall! - That was the most terrifying thing of all,
not knowing whether the engine would start firing up again.
There were no parachutes, of course.
Flying along the south coast of England,
around the Isle of Wight,
looking down on a 'patchwork' of fields, farms,
towns and villages,
all viewed in 'miniature'.
Those were the days when one felt immortal,
and there was something very romantic
about pilots who flew beyond the clouds.
That death defying, daredevil image.
Somehow, you didn't seem to suffer from nerves
when you were only seventeen, you just had an appetite
to sample the great, unknown, blue yonder.
Now I prefer to have my feet planted firmly on terra firma.
But Oh! those times when I was once a 'High Flyer'.
Chocks away.............! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
© Ernestine Northover
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (High Flyer by Ernestine Northover )
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Love's Substitute, Bernard O'Dowd
- Mandela - The Immortal Icon, Chinedu Dike
Poem of the Day
- A Lesson to Fur and Leather Entertainers, rohan bendre
- Love Is Here To Stay, Dorsey Baker
- Mother's helplessness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Lesson of Patriotism, rohan bendre
- Pen-and-Ink, hafiz qasim
- Destroyer and Preserver, hafiz qasim
- My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- TEACHER, Shachi Kaul
- Jackals cleverness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Gibberish, hafiz qasim