1 On Linden, when the sun was low,
2 All bloodless lay the untrodden snow,
3 And dark as winter was the flow
4 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
5 But Linden saw another sight
6 When the drum beat at dead of night,
7 Commanding fires of death to light
8 The darkness of her scenery.
9 By torch and trumpet fast arrayed,
10 Each horseman drew his battle blade,
11 And furious every charger neighed
12 To join the dreadful revelry.
13 Then shook the hills with thunder riven,
14 Then rushed the steed to battle driven,
15 And louder than the bolts of heaven
16 Far flashed the red artillery.
17 But redder yet that light shall glow
18 On Linden's hills of stainèd snow,
19 And bloodier yet the torrent flow
20 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
21 'Tis morn, but scarce yon level sun
22 Can pierce the war clouds, rolling dun,
23 Where furious Frank and fiery Hun
24 Shout in their sulphurous canopy.
25 The combat deepens. On, ye brave,
26 Who rush to glory, or the grave!
27 Wave, Munich! all thy banners wave,
28 And charge with all thy chivalry!
29 Few, few shall part where many meet!
30 The snow shall be their winding-sheet,
31 And every turf beneath their feet
32 Shall be a soldier's sepulchre.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hohenlinden by Thomas Campbell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Suicide in the Trenches, Siegfried Sassoon
Poem of the Day
- Textology - 3. Mistakes, Joseph Archer
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- witness, Cee Bea
- It Was Delightfully Cold, Naveed Akram
- DUAL ROLE, MBJ Pancras
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong