1 On Linden, when the sun was low,
2 All bloodless lay the untrodden snow,
3 And dark as winter was the flow
4 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
5 But Linden saw another sight
6 When the drum beat at dead of night,
7 Commanding fires of death to light
8 The darkness of her scenery.
9 By torch and trumpet fast arrayed,
10 Each horseman drew his battle blade,
11 And furious every charger neighed
12 To join the dreadful revelry.
13 Then shook the hills with thunder riven,
14 Then rushed the steed to battle driven,
15 And louder than the bolts of heaven
16 Far flashed the red artillery.
17 But redder yet that light shall glow
18 On Linden's hills of stainèd snow,
19 And bloodier yet the torrent flow
20 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
21 'Tis morn, but scarce yon level sun
22 Can pierce the war clouds, rolling dun,
23 Where furious Frank and fiery Hun
24 Shout in their sulphurous canopy.
25 The combat deepens. On, ye brave,
26 Who rush to glory, or the grave!
27 Wave, Munich! all thy banners wave,
28 And charge with all thy chivalry!
29 Few, few shall part where many meet!
30 The snow shall be their winding-sheet,
31 And every turf beneath their feet
32 Shall be a soldier's sepulchre.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hohenlinden by Thomas Campbell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Bijay Kant Dubey
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Indian Babas And Their Sex Scandals, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Pickled with fate and time, Aftab Alam
- A Preface to My Autobiography, Valsa George
- Haiku - Life, chandra thiagarajan
- An educational song., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Not permanent, hasmukh amathalal
- UNKNOWN, Fatima Obaid
- My Fight, Rusty (Ed) Gibson
- Remembering Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- In HIm Alone, david kush
- Irony of the world., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..