Braying are we.
Praying are they
For want of rain, found a way.
We feel honoured to get wedded.
Hence cornered and here seated.
A perfect ritual with right wedding attire
Arranged exclusively for their rain desire.
Clad in silk saree and dothi
Glad with flower garlands are we.
Our long ears tied with flower drops,
Sindhoor and holy ash adorning our foreheads,
A traditional music band in high spirits,
With hundreds of guests in high cheers,
The priest conducting with customary incantion,
The holy knot is tied in ovation.
Blessed are we.Cursed is the drought.
Wedding for the rains to be brought.
Untied now are our hind legs.
Happily kicking we run wagging our tails.
Any more donkey wedding? We're your hopes.
Indira Renganathan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hopes by Indira Renganathan )
- Clean India Campaign, Dr John Celes
- Holy Journey, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- MISSION, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life's Numbers, Randy McClave
- Imagining Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Hunted, Mae AC.
- 13 April 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 7 Aprl 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 25 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Walking the Dog, Kaila George
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)