How Are Thy Servants Blest, O Lord!
How are Thy servants blest, O Lord!
How sure is their defense!
Eternal wisdom is their guide,
Their help Omnipotence.
In foreign realms, and lands remote,
Supported by Thy care,
Through burning climes they pass unhurt,
And breathe in tainted air.
When by the dreadful tempest borne
High on the broken wave,
They know Thou art not slow to her,
Nor impotent to save.
The storm is laid, the winds retire,
Obedient to Thy will,
The sea, that roars at Thy command,
At Thy command is still.
From all our griefs and fears, O Lord,
Thy mercy sets us free;
While in the confidence of prayer
Our hearts take hold on Thee.
In midst of dangers, fears and death,
Thy goodness we adore;
We praise Thee for Thy mercies past,
And humbly hope for more
Our life, while Thou preservest life,
A sacrifice shall be;
And death, when death shall be our lot,
Shall join our souls to Thee.
Joseph Addison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How Are Thy Servants Blest, O Lord! by Joseph Addison )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Whom Life Has Injured, David Harris
- Democracy has reached in wildelife, Upendra Singh
- weeds, lee fones
- Neither action, gajanan mishra
- Steel Helmet, Suchoon Mo_
- Stinky Steve, jerome moore
- COPLA CINCUENTA Y NUEVE: This Bad Guy Wo.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- When I say - sad, gajanan mishra
- Season Affair, jerome moore
- tussen het systeem, co the skipper