Hymn Of The New World
A star a star in the west!
Out of the wave it rose:
And it led us forth on a world-far quest;
Where the mesas scorched and the moorlands froze.
It lured us without rest:
With yearning, yearning—ah!
It sang (as it beckoned us)
A music vast, adventurous-
A star a star in the night!
Out of our hearts it dawned !
And it poured within its wonderful light;
Where our hovels gloomed and our hunger spawned
It healed our passionate blight:
And burning, burning—ah!
It clanged (as it kindled us)
Of a freedom proud and perilous-
A star—a star in the dawn!
Bright from God s brow it gleams!
Like a morning star in ages gone
With hallowed song its holy beams
Urge us forever on:
For chanting, chanting—ah!
It builds (as it blesses us)
A union strong, harmonious-
Percy MacKaye's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hymn Of The New World by Percy MacKaye )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- If I Die Young, John Billy Tumapon Yucot
- Not even birds, hasmukh amathalal
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ- 76, Ronjoy Brahma
- I Was About Asking Why, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- How to Listen, Joyce Sutphen
- Nice memory, hasmukh amathalal
- Hey There Mr. Sandman, Richard Provencher
- I am only here, gajanan mishra
- OUR UNIVERSE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- गावनिया गावनिखा, Ronjoy Brahma