I Can Go, But Why Shall I?
I think, I will rather turn back
I have smeared so much soot in my hands
Never thought of you as you are -
Now, when I stand by the gorge at night,
The moon beckons, come on over -
Now, when I stand mesmerized by the levee,
The pyre logs call, 'come, c'mon over! '
I can go,
I can go in any direction
But why shall I go?
Got to kiss a long one to my kid
But not right now
I will take you along as well
Won't go alone before time.
[Translated by Arindam Basu]
Shakti Chattopadhay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Can Go, But Why Shall I? by Shakti Chattopadhay )
- Lately, Dominique Lamboy
- MY WORDS AND HER WORDS كلماتي و كلماتها, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Drawing Inspiration, Tony Adah
- Bumblebees Bibbing, Saiom Shriver
- Tum Muze Kaha Pyar Dete Ho, ravipal bharshankar
- When He's Not Here, Lora Colon
- Charlotte Old Times (The Cure), B.. Alexander
- Cardinal flower, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Down the Memory Lane, Valsa George
- I Miss You, Viola Hughes