I Don't Know Jack
You think I'm a waist of space; attention seeker & disgusting,
However did you think I just couldn't afford my place?
I didn't choose this life.
I would prefer a bed other than the streets,
My bones ache from the solid concrete.
I wake up with hate and lingering questions,
How am I going to eat?
Bet you didn't know I had another mouth to feed.
My daughter, just a little toddler;
Growing little beauty that doesn't deserve this horror.
You think this life is fake, but trust me it isn't.
Two people can't make a living by eating the scrapes off of dirty dishes.
But it is ok, you helped me.
Just by tossing those coins at me.
My daughter got a sandwich and I just couldn't manage watching her savoring each piece to make it everlasting.
It is dawn,
Time to rock her asleep and watch her fall into her dreams deep.
It breaks my heart to realize I'm a failure as a father.
The moist tears roll from my eyes,
But tomorrow is a new day
Do something productive.
Maybe they will finally hire me into a job and stop giving me a ruckus.
The breeze is getting hard;
Your body got a chill,
As you quarreled into my arms I rock you until you become still.
Here is my jacket, I'll wrap you up tight,
Hopefully it will be warmer by daylight.
Guessing I should sleep too.
Maybe we will wake up and have a stable life like we dream too.
Just before I go everyone put yourself in my shoes;
You know how your day is going to be from front to back,
But me; I don't know jack.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Don't Know Jack by Corrine Shoemaker )
- Coal - your turn, gajanan mishra
- Bluff-masters As Contemporary Indian Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- There Will Always Be Another Poem, Shalom Freedman
- This Is My Bungalow, This Is My Car, Thi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- f' my life i hate this place, shannon strauss
- Pulmonary Hypertension, Strydar Enox
- Depths Unknown, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- English ‘hope', douglas scotney
- Looking for a new land, gajanan mishra
- Let Vishwakarma Be With, The Divine Mast.., Bijay Kant Dubey