Lawrence S. Pertillar
I Prefer the Pound
I remembered being married.
Now I am happily divorced.
I don't recall wishing this bliss.
Or when I preferred pound cake,
Over one called Death by Chocolate.
But I have learned,
Not to touch chocolate
Without backup or guard.
It is hard breaking free of habits that decay.
Even when it's inviting...
Nothing guarantees an addiction,
Will not kill ambition.
Some escape with slight healing bruises!
Others are beaten into the ground!
That's why I prefer the pound,
When it is around and I can taste it!
Nibble and leave...
That's my philosophy I'm feeding me.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Prefer the Pound by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- It isn't easy!, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Am Third, Perry Biggerstaff
- The Nigeria Political Vampires, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Alack! Afore! Alack! Afore!, Dexsta Ray
- WAR modern art-form of meaninglessness, George Dee Vuy
- I let myself, Elena Ioannou
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila