James Bredin (1933 / Ennis Canada)
ILLUSION OF DEMOCRACY APR 3rd 2011
Is an election just an illusion of democracy?
Just a changeover of the usual aristocracy,
Where nobody is required to vote so most don’t,
Can’t talk death-with-dignity like they do over in Vermont.
Can’t have binding referendums like they do in Switzerland,
Two of the many subjects that we have completely banned,
Can’t have proportional representation in first-past-the-post,
Where the collective opposition usually have many more votes.
None of our party leaders have offered much or any change,
And why should this seem so everyday ordinary and not strange?
No binding referendums or death-with-dignity offered here,
Not even compulsory voting so they have no fear.
Poet Other Poems
- A Big Black Hole... May 9th,2013
- A BINGO HALL... DEC 5TH,2013
- A BINGO HALL... FEB 21TH,2014
- A BLUE MOON... NOV 23RD,2012
- A CANADIAN DEMOCRATIC DICTATOR
- A CANADIAN ELECTION... MAY 26TH,2013
- A CANADIAN TEA PARTY
- A CONSTITUTION LIKE THE SWISS... JAN 19T...
- A Forbidden Subject
- A GIRL IN DERRY June 19th,2011
- A Group of Appoıntees
- A HUNDRED THOUSAND CANADIAN REASONS
- A National Referendum... March 1st,2014
- A Need For Binding Rederendums... Mar 20...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.