In the Summertime
Shorts and t-shirts sit unused
In the bottom of my bedroom drawer.
The bottle of factor fifty suntan lotion-
Sits unopened on the dressing room table.
I've check my calendar - yes -
The month of August - yes -
Irish summertime - to the optimist!
Getting ready for a glorious evening walk -
To enjoy the long evening and August sun.
Have I got everything I need?
Better bring the raincoat and umbrella -
Perhaps Wellington boots and a woolly hat.
Very dull, overcast and grey -
Perhaps I need a torch.
Wet grass squelches underfoot,
Wind rustles through the trees,
Already the leaves begin to fall.
Sunday morning dawns.
It just wouldn't be summer,
Without a day at the coast.
Packing the car with those beach essentials -
Windproof jacket and a Thermos flask of soup.
The rain-soaked sand sticks to my shoes
As a gust of wind blows the top of my ice-cream cone.
My skin turns blue as I go for a swim.
I cough and splutter in a cloud of smoke,
As the soaking wet matchbox falls apart -
Rain soaked charcoal is hard to light
Whoever thought a barbecue was a good idea?
I throw the lot in bin -
Fish and chips sitting in the car -
Looking at the sea through misted glass.
I love the Irish summer-time,
Could be so much worse.
It's not as if we get a lot of rain -
Sure it only rains for fifteen minutes,
Every quarter of an hour!
bryan wallace's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In the Summertime by bryan wallace )
- Distant Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Don't, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Surmounting Problems, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Reflection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Marks Of Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wake Of Suicide, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Miracle, Vian Sabri
- The Acrobat, Pat Raia
- Hupa, John Tansey
- i multi-task hard for you, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Richard Cory, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)