This is the sign!
This flooding splendour, golden and hyaline,
This sun a golden sea on hill and plain, --
That God forgets not, that He walks with men.
His smile is on the mountain and the pool
And all the fairy lakes are beautiful.
This is the word!
That makes a thing of flame the water-bird.
This mercy of His fulfilled in the magical
Clear glow of skies from dawn to evenfall,
Telling His Hand is over us, that we
Are not delivered to the insatiable sea.
This is the pledge!
The promise writ in gold to the water's edge:
His bow's in Heaven and the great floods are over.
Oh, broken hearts, lift up! The Immortal Lover
Embraces, comforts with the enlivening sun,
The sun He bids stand still till the day is won.
Katharine Tynan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Indian Summer by Katharine Tynan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- crying is out of the question, Mandolyn ...
- Auteur zoekt, Madrason writer
- 16th Girls, jerica singleton
- The thief in the Night, Angell Afinowi
- Another Boring Catastrophe, Dazjha Hardy
- Don't Cry, Michael P. McParland
- Maslow was Wrong, Angell Afinowi
- It is Over, Richard Allen Beevor
- Wearing A Mask, Randy McClave
- It*, Morgan Michaels