Is It Okay To Cry?
Since I was little, I was laughed at and teased
Just because I held my heart on my sleeves
Any single tears that fell from my eyes
They would shout, 'Look! She's about to cry! '
Tell me, Is it it okay to cry?
Or should I lock it up deep inside?
I can hide my tears if it bothers you so
But tell me before the tears start to flow
When I was young, adults even lectured me
'Stop your whining. Do you want to be a crybaby? '
My answers were always a no, so i tried whiping them away
No matter what, I still cried despite what people say
So tell me, is it okay to cry?
Or do I need my tears to hide?
I can stop if that's what you wish for
But let me know before I lock the door
Once I turned a teen, I kept my tears within
I knew if I let them out, for some it be a sin
They would jump all over me, laughing calling me weak
In order to stop my cries, strength I began to seek
Can you tell me, is it okay to cry?
Or should I block them out and lie?
I can say 'I'm fine' giving a fake smile
But do tell me before my heart freezes a mile
Now that I'm older, I still wonder if i'm truly strong
My friends have told me I shouldn't hold it in for real long
And even though a part of me wants to go on and weep
I still refuse for others to see, so I let the tears fall in my sleep
Please tell me, is it okay to cry?
Or should I let that part of me die?
I can't keep worrying what to choose
But I beg of you, tell me what you want me to do.
Katherine Sessor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Is It Okay To Cry? by Katherine Sessor )
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Morning, Sara Hopkins
- My India (Hindi) भारत अपना, S.D. TIWARI
- from 'The Double' VIII, Morgan Michaels
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)