Jekyll and Hyde
Nature in her wisdom has created
bitch twins which war before, behind, one mind;
here, p[r]etty grace, there peerless face some find.
Few sonneteers false charms have celebrated.
Superficial gloss deceives. As stated,
above, fair features mask Hyde hid behind,
foiling heart, whose coils seem serpentined,
motives murky, joy soon dissipated.
Reflect on shine whose light seems calculated
to serve as shield behind an iron blind,
unsated floe on salt sea floats unkind.
Etched is this portrait, equal loved and hated.
Captivated, some serve both, but why
seem some men, pawns, dream drawn to mirage eye?
Heart hides. Part blue, part gold, horizons hold
Youth's buttterfly Time soon consumes, age burns.
Dreams dance between the two as one discerns
Earth, air, fire, water balanced team enfold,
Juxtaposed, all elements enrolled.
Each mirrors all men think their need, greed earns;
Knowledge for some, for others lust that churns,
Yearns extra years, or blots hot tears untold.
Lotus position peace projects, on hold
Linger longing, flood, drought, doubt returns
Haunting all who seek selfish concerns
Yet, stretching to take, sketch their heart-ache. Young, old,
Drawn into self-made snare where sot and sage,
Entrapped, must pay the piper, pen Fate's page.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Jekyll and Hyde by Jonathan ROBIN )
- Star chat........., SALINI NAIR
- Chicane, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Just A Few Simple Words, Electric Lady
- Pen And Pun Of It, Rites Ghosh
- Be One, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- POITIERS AND BEYOND., Terry Collett
- Jadavpur Universiy Campus Turf, Romeo An.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Let Me Display Your Pennant , Jonathan ROBIN
- UNTIL THEN, TIJANI ADEBOWALE DESTINY
- Life is a chasing game,, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Carpe Diem, William Shakespeare
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)