We sit and ponder on the dangers that lurk in this field of greens,
We carved the mountains and hills and searched for lovely stones;
We swim with sharks; swords, shields and spears for our dreams;
Living stones are better than lovely bones.
If Love would live the full meaning of strength and glory,
Like the blooming of Jacarandas, artistic sprinkles of purple in a field of greens.
A rainbow on the horizon, a delightful story;
If we would be fixed to the anchors of love,
Then our soils, streets and dark alleys will stand for our dreams.
We bleed daily, as in a battlefield, we hoped for warmth;
We smile as the sun rises, a new day is a fortress for the sons of Africa.
We run with lions and hope for warmth;
It is another mysterious day for the sons of Africa.
Feyisayo Anjorin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Johannesburg(Our Jerusalem) by Feyisayo Anjorin )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bleeding, May Swenson
- Men, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Bells, Edgar Allan Poe
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- thoughts of you, Dorsey Baker
- Our call, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Khoon Allodah, Akhtar Jawad
- Emptiness, Dorsey Baker
- Meditation, Aftab Alam
- Not an infant any more, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- The UKIP-topian, sociopathic delusions o.., Stanley Collymore
- Turning points., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Hold, Nur Danial
- Adil Jussawalla The Man & The Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey