Liilia Talts Morrison
Lacy whites and flower patterns,
snowflake doilies, will you buy?
Crisp, pure, starched, amazing details,
Sold in stalls by nimble hands,
I will buy and take this treasure
To my room with transient glee.
For as soon as water hits it
Limp and wrinkled it will be.
Who has made these tempting treasures
In a country far away?
Who has starched them, who has knit them
Who has toiled so endlessly?
Did the hands that made this bounty
Ever get to taste of it?
Did they think as they were toiling
Who the purchaser would be?
As I gently touch this hanky
Pristine clean as snow and ice
I do thank the one who made it
Sweating for a bowl of rice.
And I think of hands that made it.
Were they wrinkled, limp and sad?
Were they big or were they little?
Was their owner still a child?
Thank you for the thrill you gave me
Sitting in my velvet chair
Watching crisp and lacy patterns
Lighting up my day of care.
May your toil be for a purpose
May you rest by end of day
May the fates give you a blessing
Like the one you gave to me.
Liilia Talts Morrison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lacy Handkerchief by Liilia Talts Morrison )
Did you read them?
- - My Poems Introduction The Romantic Poe.., Ali Sabry
- Thomas Shadwell (an intro), Yohan Confectioner
- - My Last Letter To My Lovely Beauty Lad.., Ali Sabry
- - Yesterday I Was Walking Alone On The R.., Ali Sabry
- - To My Dear Expensive-, Ali Sabry
- 'My Dear', Ali Sabry
- - -My Dear- -, Ali Sabry
- - I Love You With All My Heart O My Fair.., Ali Sabry
- - I Love You Blind-, Ali Sabry
- - -I Have Chosen You From Among The Beau.., Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Woman's Last Word, Robert Browning
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)