My mouth waters taste buds tickle
When I see a jar of lemon pickle!
On the sunny roof the lemon pickle
It starts a child’s saliva’s trickle!
It still gives his conscience a prick
He played on the old man a trick!
For the old one was sunned on the roof
Jar of lemon pickle what a goof!
The glass jar stayed there all day
But the child just couldn’t stay away!
At midday when they all were asleep
Little feet climbed the stairs steep!
Made sure not an eye was watching
What joy did the sight of pickle bring!
The child such small was his need
He only had to open the jar’s lid!
Pick up one for nothing he could miss
One juicy sweet sour lemon piece!
In his mischief he did go that far
Each sucked piece he put back in the jar!
So that they would never find a trace
Not one piece of lemon would be less!
The poor old man he never knew
The child’s blended saliva in the brew!
The child sucked pickle had his fill
What the old man relished with his meal!
I know this story isn’t worth a nickel
Still I find irresistible the lemon pickle!
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lemon Pickle by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Filtrate, Akhtar Jawad
- I am gajananmishra, gajanan mishra
- Winter, Neela Nath
- How wonder, gajanan mishra
- Fortunate enough, hasmukh amathalal
- To Bob Whelan on Discussing Pablo Neruda, Bill Grace
- Intense drive, hasmukh amathalal
- My totality, gajanan mishra
- The Other Side Of The Story, mary douglas
- Journey end, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)