Listen To Me
l am not sitting in front of you
because l am gone.
There are things that have
consumed my soul and l
am not the person you see.
My heart is on fire and
not even the waters of the Volta
can put it out.
l have lost my bearing
an animal has captured me
and done to me what no
human being should suffer.
Did you hear laughter, my sister?
these are not sounds of joy
but the laughter that only
a bitter man can laugh to cry.
I fear for the night because
sleep has quareled with my eyes
and refused to make peace with me
and l toss on my bed like wood
that has been carried away by flood water.
I cannot cry my sister, since
my tear ducts are dried because of
what has happened to me.
I sought happiness and bought
sorrow with all that evil with it
and my whole life is just one that
can never know joy, my sister.
Didn't you see it happening?
why didn't you say a word to stop
me from taking those steps
towards disaster, my sister?
Francis Kokutse's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Listen To Me by Francis Kokutse )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1923 - 1998)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Are You Drinking?, Charles Bukowski
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Coming Home, Slim Jay
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney