Day after day up there beating my wings
with all the softness truth requires
I feel them shrug whenever I pause:
they class my voice among tentative things,
And they credit fact, force, battering.
I dance my way toward the family of knowing,
embracing stray error as a long-lost boy
and bringing him home with my fluttering.
Every quick feather asserts a just claim;
it bites like a saw into white pine.
I communicate right; but explain to the dean--
well, Right has a long and intricate name.
And the saying of it is a lonely thing.
William Stafford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lit Instructor by William Stafford )
Did you read them?
- To Jean Redpath, mary douglas
- ...A LOVE SONG, Ken e Hall
- The destiny, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Chibok Girls, Murtaza Micky Yusuf
- Sab bhar kiya tha..., Azhar Sabri
- Taqraar mohabbat me..., Azhar Sabri
- In Joyous Distress, Margaret Alice Second
- 如果爱是守候, qin xing
- Strife, Md. Asadullah
- 'MY FAMILY', paul fornillos