Cicely Fox Smith
Half a score o' sailormen that want to sail once more,
Cruising round the waterside with the Peter at the fore!
Half a score o' sailormen the sea will never drown -
Seven days in open boats a-drifting up and down! -
Out to find another ship and sail from London Town!
Half a score o' sailormen broke and on the rocks,
Linking down Commercial Road, tramping round the Docks,
Half a score o' sailormen, torpedoed twice before,
Once was in the Channel chops, once was off the Nore,
Last was in the open sea five hundred mile from shore!
Half a score o' sailormen that want to sail again -
And her cargo's all aboard her, and it's blowing up for rain!
Half a score o' sailormen that won't come home to tea -
For she's dropping down the river with the Duster flying free -
Down the London River on the road to the open sea!
Cicely Fox Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (London River by Cicely Fox Smith )
- Coal - your turn, gajanan mishra
- Bluff-masters As Contemporary Indian Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- There Will Always Be Another Poem, Shalom Freedman
- This Is My Bungalow, This Is My Car, Thi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- f' my life i hate this place, shannon strauss
- Pulmonary Hypertension, Strydar Enox
- Depths Unknown, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- English ‘hope', douglas scotney
- Looking for a new land, gajanan mishra
- Let Vishwakarma Be With, The Divine Mast.., Bijay Kant Dubey