Lone Soldier … 2104 - 2k13
Frothing waters dance and spin.
Flip in abundance rainbow fins.
Reach out bridges, span the blues,
colors of water, lakes and hues.
Heady saunter on windy tracks.
Crumpled shirts and slept in slacks.
Trills and tweets of mountain thrush,
waft across valleys to pause the hush.
Brooks gush and gurgle by hewn stairs.
Drive by smiling, beaming, happy pairs.
Clinging fronds along lingering snows.
Nervous barks of pregnant does.
Occasional rat a tat of random fire.
Stark reminder to a stacked up pyre.
For ages clutched by tangle of roots.
Dislodged now with thump of boots.
Boulders hurtle; mill shale to sands.
Avalanches march to tune of bands.
Distant whine intrudes rustle of pines
Lone a soldier under an outcrop dines
Ages passed in these tranquil dales.
Now often rent with echoing wails.
Streams and bluffs clutched by hands,
hid in bunkers under conifer stands.
saadat tahir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Ruminations from a recent trip to Neelum valley on the Pakistan side of Kashmir. The mix of heavenly pristine snow bound beauty and mil-fatigues is unnerving and painful.
Rainbow fins = Rainbow trout.
Bridges = Suspension bridges so common in Neelum valley.
Clutched by hands = Armies of Pakistan and India eye balling each other meters away.
Thump of boots = Peppered mil posts across snow bound cliffs.
Distant whine = Revving 4x4 vehicles laboring steep slopes.
Comments about this poem (Lone Soldier … 2104 - 2k13 by saadat tahir )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Abu at-Tayyib al-Mutanabbi
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Deep in my Soul, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Orange Has A Shadow, Saiom Shriver
- I'm Screaming Inside, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Wisdom, Forgiveness & Love., Tom Zart
- Not Divisive But Divine, Saiom Shriver
- Heart-Song of Mattie Stepanek*, Tushar Ray
- Singing Rain, Saiom Shriver
- Sometimes, Aslam Marikar
- The Confession, Aslam Marikar
- Resolutions, Gordon Ayisi