'Woman places corpse of husband in closet.
Linah B-,64, said her husband died
In October 31 in either 1977 or 1978 and she
Put him in a closet because she
Couldn't pay for a proper burial...'
Might've been a good case
For Perry Mason if foul play
Had been suspected, but
The authorities got to the bottom
Of the matter when they
Got the call from the workmen
Painting the house.
Seems there was a little more than
Plaster-of-Paris on a closet floor
Than the woman let on.
One might wonder at the woman's stead
To bear the dead crime,
'No, J- is not home today, '
No one the wiser what lay
In the closet's keep.
It'll probably be the 'in' thing now-
Little women will squirrel
Their loved ones away-
Where the dead never leave the house.
Edward Steinhardt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love-letting by Edward Steinhardt )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- My Struggle, Michael P. McParland
- Nervous Wreck, Michael P. McParland
- Bäume, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Infinity Divided By Zero, Michael P. McParland
- Inner nightmare, iluneos periform
- Light, Isaac Maliya
- Trapped in a dewy glistening web, Mark Heathcote
- Three Days Before Christmas, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland