Love, The Soul Of Poetry
WHen first Alexis did in Verse delight,
His Muse in Low, but Graceful Numbers walk't,
And now and then a little Proudly stalk't;
But never aim'd at any noble Flight:
The Herds, the Groves, the gentle purling Streams,
Adorn'd his Song, and were his highest Theams.
But Love these Thoughts, like Mists, did soon disperse,
Enlarg'd his Fancy, and set free his Muse,
Biding him more Illustrious Subjects choose;
The Acts of Gods, and God-like Men reherse.
From thence new Raptures did his Breast inspire,
His scarce Warm-Heart converted was to Fire.
Th' exalted Poet rais'd by this new Flame,
With Vigor flys, where late he crept along,
And Acts Divine, in a Diviner Song,
Commits to the eternal Trompe of Fame.
And thus Alexis does prove Love to be,
As the Worlds Soul, the Soul of Poetry.
Anne Killigrew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love, The Soul Of Poetry by Anne Killigrew )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- The Dolls Have Preceded Us All, mary douglas
- Awaken Sleepy One, Shanika marini Paul
- It Broke My Heart To Leave You, Elia Michael
- The one that got away, Tammy Ashton
- Back to my Gypsy Mode, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Shrinking world, Nalini Chaturvedi
- My Truth, Lauren B Called
- *IV*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- My Love, Lilly Emery
- * III*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron