Manene's Song to Her Brother, Gesar
Now, Gesar, Hero of a thousand battles,
Conqueror of a thousand kinds of corruption,
Healer of a thousand kinds of poisonous disease,
Now you cannot turn back.
Now the accomplishments, realizations and victories,
Which you called your life are behind you.
Now the living heart of compassion
Draws you out and onward.
To save a single being,
You will experience the loss of death,
Your body and mind dissolve.
To save a single being,
You will go beyond your identity,
Your body, your understanding, your life.
You will experience again the painful uncertainty of birth,
As your mind and body dissolve
And form a being you have never known.
The awakened state cannot be contained in body or word or thought.
It is continually renewed in the endless cycles of birth and death.
The transitions of the bardos are the path of wakefulness.
As all life is sustained by other,
Only complete compassion
Can sustain you.
This is the only ground.
Primordial compassion is unfabricated awareness.
Non-Dual compassion is unchanging bliss.
Unceasing compassion is the all protecting armor of love.
Unconditional confidence is the radiance of compassion.
This is the feast of phenomenal existence.
Douglas Penick's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
These verses come from CROSSING ON A BRIDGE OF LIGHT- Mountain Treasury Press. PP.15-16
Comments about this poem (Manene's Song to Her Brother, Gesar by Douglas Penick )
- Knowing Fragments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Woman in the Rains, Akhtar Jawad
- In the depths of a grim winter (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- TO THE INSOMNIAC, sathya narayana
- Season is unfavorable,, Aftab Alam
- English As My Second Language, Tony Adah
- Without Taking A Breath, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I wonder if all men long for a girl… (ca.., Gert Strydom
- Is it absurd to fall too deep?, Mark Heathcote
- Kindness Begets Kindness, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)