May 24, 1980
I have braved, for want of wild beasts, steel cages,
carved my term and nickname on bunks and rafters,
lived by the sea, flashed aces in an oasis,
dined with the-devil-knows-whom, in tails, on truffles.
From the height of a glacier I beheld half a world, the earthly
width. Twice have drowned, thrice let knives rake my nitty-gritty.
Quit the country the bore and nursed me.
Those who forgot me would make a city.
I have waded the steppes that saw yelling Huns in saddles,
worn the clothes nowadays back in fashion in every quarter,
planted rye, tarred the roofs of pigsties and stables,
guzzled everything save dry water.
I've admitted the sentries' third eye into my wet and foul
dreams. Munched the bread of exile; it's stale and warty.
Granted my lungs all sounds except the howl;
switched to a whisper. Now I am forty.
What should I say about my life? That it's long and abhors transparence.
Broken eggs make me grieve; the omelet, though, makes me vomit.
Yet until brown clay has been rammed down my larynx,
only gratitude will be gushing from it.
Joseph Brodsky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (May 24, 1980 by Joseph Brodsky )
- Waves of customers inside those stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Leading Me Home, Heather Burns
- She's mad at me today, Louis Borgo
- An Event, Heather Burns
- Hiding In The Open In Her Room, Is It Poetry
- All Hallows Eve, David Lewis Paget
- The Devil Twists God's Words & Desires., Tom Zart
- Naturality, michael walkerjohn
- time, lee fones
- I Saw You Today, Raven McCall
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- If I Knew Someone Cared, Nicole Rawls
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- CHERYL winter
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)