Between life's rise and wane
where naivety dawns to wisdom
and adventure turns to vigilance
we're oft caged in our responsibilities.
As if we're cursed by a caesura
of neither feeling youth's freedom
nor the peaceful surrender to old age
just victims to our day to day routines.
Oh, we remember are youthful play
and we tell the tails with boastful joy
as we make grander plans for tomorrow
hoping it will be better than our todays.
Its here we bid farewell to our mothers
and understand the plight of our fathers
as we write eulogies for friends we lost
and sometime realize love is not forever.
Yet, in this pause our minds' whisper to us
in the unified voice we spoke in our dawn
and the foreshadowed tone of our dusk
that somehow the noon is our finest hour.
For its here that our youth's dream are lived
and shared with those we are responsible to
and its here our children change our names
as we treasure their dreams above our own.
Joey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Midlife Crisis by Joey Jones )
- On Writing, Deborah Eker
- Freedoms, Connie Marcum Wong
- Ebola! One Last Time, Peter Kimani
- India, Connie Marcum Wong
- A Counter Revolution in Cuba, Deborah Eker
- Pure love, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Man's Hat, Darren David Weaver
- tonight i write you with one sock on, Mandolyn ...
- useless poets, Is It Poetry
- i dropped us and you were glass, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)