Joseph S. Josephides
Mighty Creteros, Mightily
You thought you won Sarazines at Amnisos! You didn’t
foresee that the locust would perhaps come back
you, bearer of the responsibility, Crateros of Byzantium;
however you did rush to celebrate for that victory!
For centuries the people here adores goddess Elithia
From the city Triton of Amnisos down to Inatos
But she upset king Minos while he was resting.
Gave birth to many black kids, among white ones;
It takes a hundred of cities to house them as citizens.
My General, why you got drunk for that mere first win,
leaving the win in a cup for others to drink it in the dark?
Now wounded, you are helped to escape for island Cos.
In vain; soon they will approach your ship to kill you.
A war is lost when the heart is drunk and mounts to brain,
the chest palpitates in vacuum, the eyes are unguarded.
The good days disappear, oh Byzantium of the dream,
when you used to create with mighty hands the statue
of each one of your works, gradually till accomplishment.
You walk in the air using Icarus’ wings and you fall too.
It's hard to reach the harbors of destination. Remember
Theseus forgot to change his sails from black to white.
Thus he lost his father. Thus one loses his fortune
when shoots with a bow to kill the wise awl of Triton.
What you had as a gift you couldn’t save it; you didn’t
protect sensibly your back to let your chest ahead?
Joseph S. Josephides's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Mighty Creteros, Mightily by Joseph S. Josephides )
- E-rated poemier- go slow, Elvis Airohi
- Songs of Heaven, Aftab Alam
- E-rated poemier- if it had ended, Elvis Airohi
- Upon His Face, david kush
- Abel, Aftab Alam
- At Least Live and Dream, Rohit Sapra
- Aladdin's Lamp, Aftab Alam
- philosophy, lee fones
- Old Clock, Paul Gerard Reed
- Cuckold's Plea, Donal Mahoney
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1886 - 1967)