Moated Waters of the River Rhine
Turrets assemble saluting the nomadic Rhine,
castles deeply footed in Goethe’s romanticized age
honor the passing river as the dandelions sway
to the knowledge of his wisdom, each quotable line
embedded in the rock faults supported to this day.
Faust’s pride and his quest to reach the zenith of knowledge
culminating in one moment of exquisite bliss
bitterly grieves the eternal price for this sweetened kiss.
On how many foolish wagers do we try to renege
in the sale of our soul importunely wished?
Why did Prometheus defy the gods as worship
starved charlatans who did nothing but enslave mankind?
I pay homage to these ruins as archers string their line
and their arrows fly through the mainstays of my ship
immersed in the moated waters of the River Rhine.
Captain Cur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moated Waters of the River Rhine by Captain Cur )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra
- Many Types of Pain, Christina Seyoum
- Good things, hasmukh amathalal
- I failed to understand this world, gajanan mishra