Her husband was Thade Hartnett the Cork County Councillor
But he died young for some sad life can be
She claimed his seat and then was re-elected
And for many years served as an M.C.C.
She held a seat in the Cork County Council
Back when Eileen Desmond was a T.D.
Two well known North Cork female politicians
When women struggled for identity.
I still have good memories of Mrs Hartnett
I liked her for her warmth and honesty
Loved and respected all around Duhallow
And a great credit to old Knocknagree.
She catered for the needs of her constituents
And of their problems she seemed quite aware
And she flew the flag for all Duhallow women
When women politicians were quite rare.
Mrs Hartnett is a person I'll remember
She became known distant from Knocknagree
And she was a rare breed of politician
For she was known for her integrity.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mrs Hartnett by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
Poem of the Day
- Marching On, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rum, crumbs!, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Point It Out To You, Edward Kofi Louis
- elephant selfie, lee fones
- You Are Very Beautiful II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Winter and Christmas, Rimni chakravarty
- - Μουγγό σκυλί (Greek poem), Giorgio A. V.
- Say You Are One of Them, Aysha Ananse
- Astonished, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Love It So, Edward Kofi Louis