U Win Kyi
Mum's Beautiful Hand
Once mum's hand was soft and tender,
nail polished and manicured,
Now callous and roughened,
nail brittle and hardened,
shape deformed and deeply wrinkled,
vein engorged and firmer,
due to hard work for decades of years.
It rocked the cradle
to make me sleep quieter.
When I cried in fear,
it wiped the tears.
When I was irritant in despair,
it consoled me by stroking my hair.
When I felt sad,
on my shoulder it gave a pat.
When I was rude in manner,
a hard spank it didn't spare.
When i went astray,
the index finger pointed me the right way.
When I met a big loss,
the fingers kept crossed.
Mum's hand is a God-send
to make me into a good decent man.
U Win Kyi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mum's Beautiful Hand by U Win Kyi )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Excuses, Michelle Dragonfly
- They Say, Michelle Dragonfly
- someone asked me why i have so many jars.., Mandolyn ...
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham