My Brother's Mother
If I looked at my family tree,
I wonder where on it you'd be.
Where should I put the natural mother
of one who is my foster brother?
Would it be a familial flaw
if I called you mother-in-law?
Or too much like a bad sitcom
referring to you as step mom?
Does Hallmark even have a card
to make this inquiry less hard?
Has this question come up before
and prompted others to explore
the proper title for the one
who bravely found her long-lost son?
And how does such a one relate
to he who was her son's roommate?
I wonder, though, if it should be
a matter of concern to me.
Because regardless of the name,
my brother's mother just became
someone I'd like to get to know
so that our family trees might grow.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Brother's Mother by William Chaplar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Lovers of the sun, Tony md chamasense
- A Lucky Penny, Hebert Logerie
- A Letter for a Broken Hearted, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Allure And Mystique, Margaret Alice Second
- Beware, Tony md chamasense
- Longing., Jak Black
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I Dream of Her, Olufayo Ezekiel