My Constant Companion
Sometimes, it feels like you’re my only friend in the world,
As, on my lap, you lie fast asleep, contentedly curled.
You really do seem to be the cat that got the cream,
As you lazily lie there, eyes tightly shut, in deep dream.
I rhythmically stroke your lovely soft, jet black fur;
As you lie there, seemingly unaware, and happily purr.
You always seem so immensely happy, and so content.
If only you could realise just how much, to me, you meant.
There’s always space in your stomach, whatever your mood;
You’re always completely ravenous, when it’s time for food.
I really wish that sometimes, I could read your feline mind,
And see how, differently from mine, your thoughts are designed.
When you gaze up at me, with your emerald green eyes,
I can read your face, and see that you are extremely wise.
You always love it, when I make a really big fuss of you.
Your companionship cheers me, when I’m feeling a bit blue.
I remember when you first came, to live with me here.
We were both nervous at first, but now you’re so dear.
It took us quite a while to get used to each other:
You were young, and had not long left your mother.
But, as time went by, our relationship grew and grew,
And, day by day, I fell deeper in love with you.
I feel calmed by your reassuring, but gentle touch.
You’re my constant companion, who I love so much.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Constant Companion by Angela Wybrow )
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #3, Brian Johnston
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)