Reason A. Poteet
My Grandpa's Store
Some sixty years past my Paw owned a store.
A penny case held tiny toys and balloons
and there was wrapped candy with gum galore.
Got a penny? Might as well ask for the moon.
A penny case held tiny toys and balloons;
I rarely had a penny to squeeze tight in hand.
Got a penny? might as well ask for the moon;
Paw was too busy stocking boxes and cans.
I rarely had pennies; I did have two hands;
a penny was promised if I'd sweep the floor
and keep the shelves stocked with boxes and cans.
A penny was paid for a hour's work or more.
A penny was promised if I'd sweep the floor
to earn for wrapped candy and gum galore.
A penny was paid for a hour's work or more
some sixty years past when my Paw owned a store.
Reason A. Poteet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Grandpa's Store by Reason A. Poteet )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Shed, Susan Lacovara
- Rich and Scared, Poor and Safe!, Charles Jagongo
- Love Note 14, Michael P. McParland
- My Only Angel 2, Michael P. McParland
- Modi Saheb, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Inspiration Is Dead In Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Brothers, Raymond A. Foss
- Politician, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- My Brother, Raymond A. Foss
- If We Ever Meet Again....., Lichu Thomas