Reason A. Poteet
My Grandpa's Store
Some sixty years past my Paw owned a store.
A penny case held tiny toys and balloons
and there was wrapped candy with gum galore.
Got a penny? Might as well ask for the moon.
A penny case held tiny toys and balloons;
I rarely had a penny to squeeze tight in hand.
Got a penny? might as well ask for the moon;
Paw was too busy stocking boxes and cans.
I rarely had pennies; I did have two hands;
a penny was promised if I'd sweep the floor
and keep the shelves stocked with boxes and cans.
A penny was paid for a hour's work or more.
A penny was promised if I'd sweep the floor
to earn for wrapped candy and gum galore.
A penny was paid for a hour's work or more
some sixty years past when my Paw owned a store.
Reason A. Poteet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Grandpa's Store by Reason A. Poteet )
- That Second Hand Music, Richard Provencher
- Seven That Second Hand Music (c) 2014, Richard Provencher
- keep slate clean, hasmukh amathalal
- The Holy Cross of Jesus Christ, Dr John Celes
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.31, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.30, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.29, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.28, Monk E. Biz
- A profession, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.27, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- 01 And That's How It Is, Shaun Shane
- 02 tired of thought, Shaun Shane
- 03 a love who's just like me, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)