My Innocent High
I grab the rope and lean back far.
Swinging back and forth slowly
I am the pendulum of my grandfather's clock.
I look around at the scene of my block.
Then up and take in the scene of the sky
-so clear and blue.
With white clouds that drift by
like bowling balls in a wide alley.
My view interchanging
between the beautiful sky
and the tall oak tree,
My hair bounces off my shoulder,
with every to and fro.
My rainbow eyes glow in the morning sun,
The peaceful sound of silence
is an oasis from the hectic world I live in.
I am only about a foot from the ground
Yet I am so high above everything and everyone around.
My sweet escape and innocent high.
Alyssa Marquardt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Innocent High by Alyssa Marquardt )
- You Are My Addiction, Hayley Lewis
- Unwed Mother (A Confession Of Love), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Games, Hayley Lewis
- Late Night T.V With The Volume Set To Zero, Stephen Peter Mills
- Collage, Naveed Khalid
- False Deity, Hayley Lewis
- Cloze, Naveed Khalid
- Foremost among the Finest!, Stanley Collymore
- Morning Star, Naveed Khalid
- Creator of Destruction, Hayley Lewis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns