My Little Girl
My little girl has come of age.
She is the joy of life to me,
Clever, kind and thoughtful too.
Others she put before herself,
People of the world she makes her friends.
No difference in sex of mates,
Their sexualities are personal to them.
One summer day my girl was gone,
Needing her life away from home,
Her freedom is a need to her.
Though she calls to say hello,
But gradually her calls reduced.
Sometimes I called, she wasn't there,
Sometimes I called, she had to go.
I'II call you mum, but never did,
Hours gone without her call,
A day or two she hasn't call,
I carried the phone with me for days,
Hoping her call would come at last.
Nuisance mum I couldn't be
I'II sit and wait for her to call.
If she decides not to call at all,
Or decides to keep away,
Like some children sometimes do,
I'll pray God her needs to meet,
And keep her safe in every way.
If she decides to call again,
I'II be there to take the call.
If my girl is late to call,
If the future never comes,
If I've depart the world of sins,
If I've gone beyond the skies,
And my eyes are closed in death,
Before my girl decides to call,
I hope she'll knows that I love her so.
Enitan Onikoyi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Little Girl by Enitan Onikoyi )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak