My Little Girl
My little girl has come of age.
She is the joy of life to me,
Clever, kind and thoughtful too.
Others she put before herself,
People of the world she makes her friends.
No difference in sex of mates,
Their sexualities are personal to them.
One summer day my girl was gone,
Needing her life away from home,
Her freedom is a need to her.
Though she calls to say hello,
But gradually her calls reduced.
Sometimes I called, she wasn't there,
Sometimes I called, she had to go.
I'II call you mum, but never did,
Hours gone without her call,
A day or two she hasn't call,
I carried the phone with me for days,
Hoping her call would come at last.
Nuisance mum I couldn't be
I'II sit and wait for her to call.
If she decides not to call at all,
Or decides to keep away,
Like some children sometimes do,
I'll pray God her needs to meet,
And keep her safe in every way.
If she decides to call again,
I'II be there to take the call.
If my girl is late to call,
If the future never comes,
If I've depart the world of sins,
If I've gone beyond the skies,
And my eyes are closed in death,
Before my girl decides to call,
I hope she'll knows that I love her so.
Enitan Onikoyi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Little Girl by Enitan Onikoyi )
- That Beauty, Mpho Tsakata
- Oziyon Le Dawn living in the sun, Oziyon LeDawn
- Mind Over Matter, Patrick van der Loos
- you're my hard liquor, but soft, Mandolyn ...
- Tears of Heart, Rohit Sapra
- The Value Has To Be, Rohit Sapra
- My Heart Aches So Much, Rohit Sapra
- Feather (haiku), hap rochelle
- i'm a french braid you unravel, Mandolyn ...
- Robin Williams Tribute, Suzae Chevalier
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)